Recommedations

Alexander H.M. Ruoff alexander.ruoff at ruoff-germany.de
Wed Feb 18 14:03:52 UTC 2004

Hi Brittany,

I changed from Windows 2000 to Linux after working for 2 years with NT,
W2k and XP. Before that I already changed from MS software like IE
Explorer, Outlook and MS Office to Mozilla and OpenOffice, which
resulted in a considerable improvment to work.

My first experience was Knoppix which booted without a problem different
PC, at home but also in the office and I liked that without too many
problems I was able to use Linux and KDE. That was the moment I decided
to switch to Linux.

As someone new to Linux I can only advice to install Fedora, Mandrake or
SuSe, since those three distributions are very simple to install with
the graphical interface. Debian or Gentoo are good distributions but
installing them was to complicated (tried both, failed twice but I am
happy with fedora).

As long as you don't need Windows to run specific programmes like
accounting software or games, I guess that you will use only Linux and
thus installing a dual boot system is a waste of time and space.

Alex