new to linux and networking

Antoniak Adam Adam.Antoniak at mofnet.gov.pl
Wed Feb 18 14:55:38 UTC 2004

Em Qua, 2004-02-18 às 08:31, Antoniak Adam escreveu:

> I've been using Red Hat 9.0 for a few months and consider moving to Fedora.
> I also would like to change my internet provider to get a faster connection (still using dial up modem :-( ).
> I'm considering D-Link DFE-528TX NEC. Any problems known with this particular card?
> Googled the net but didn't find any final statements.
> Will it be automatically detected or I will need additional drivers?
> As far as I know it uses an RTL8139C chipset.
> Had any of u good or bad experience with this card?

I don't know about this particular D-link model, but if it uses rtl8139,
you can run just every OS you can figure with. Fedora, older redhat
versions, openbsd, netbsd, even windows :-)

This is a network card, although, what makes me think you are changing
to something like ADSL.

Explaining VEEERY shortly, there are two kinds of adsl connection,

- one where the modem connects and takes care of even supplying your
username and password. The modem has a DHCP server, so you don't need to
configure anything. Boot and surf. Its much easier to put several
computers in one single modem this way.

- the other one, the PPPoE, looks preety much like a dial-up connection,
where the computer takes care of sending username, password, and
receives the ip directly from the internet provider. If you want to
share this connection, you need a computer which will connect and share
itself the connection, which means this computer has always to be on.
The advantages is that as you have a real ip, you can set up your own
servers, and allow outside connections to it. Much more fun for a geek
:-)

--
[]s

Alexandre Ganso
500 FOUR vermelha - Diretor Steel Goose Moto Group

Thanx for a quick reply. To be honest I'm not sure what kind of ADSL
connection my provider is going to offer me but I'm meeting a guy from the company
and hope to learn more. Since the IP is to be a dynamic one I suspect DHCP.
There is somebody coming to configure the net connection, but I do not expect
them to support Linux and I will need to take care of it myself. Hence my
questions :-) Once thanks again. I will be arround and post another message
when I face any problems. And I'm sure I will :-)

ADAM