Fedora Core 1 and up2date

Mark J. Reed mark.reed at cnn.com
Wed Feb 18 15:55:26 UTC 2004

On 2004-02-18 at 10:38:12, Harris, Kyle wrote:
>             I have been having a problem with using the up2date feature
> of Fedora Core 1. First of all it takes for ever to DL  RPM's, then when
> it does it fails to install them.

Anyone on the list on the Fedora team and able to modify the web pages at
fedora.redhat.com?  There really needs to be something prominent on there
to point people to third-party help sites like fedoranews.org etc, since there
is practically no support info on fedora.redhat.com itself other than
"We're still working on the documentation.  Wanna help?"

Mr. Harris:
The problem is that the default up2date config only uses a single server,
and everyone who has installed FC1 is trying to use that same server.  So
it's too busy, connections take forever, then time out, and since some of
the data doesn't make it, the CRC check fails.

The solution is to edit /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources, comment out
the two "yum" lines that aren't commented out already, and add replace them
with a line pointing to one of the mirror sites instead.  You can select an
appropriate one by perusing this list:

	http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

Note that you need to append the full path to the directory containing the
update RPMs.  For example, ncsu is close to me (I'm in Atlanta), and the
URL given on the mirrors page is
ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/.  But the actual updates are in
ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/i386, so
that's what I have in my yum line in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources.

-Mark