Why announce a security update before the mirrors are synced

fox3ec208 at wideopenwest.com fox3ec208 at wideopenwest.com
Wed Feb 18 18:06:33 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 12:54, Mike Burger wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 fox3ec208 at wideopenwest.com wrote:
> > I just received the announcement for the new kernel*2714 yet no mirrors
> > on the US east list seem to have the new rpms yet.  This is what's
> > placeing the burden on the master when a announcement is made for an
> > update.
>
> Because the folks at Fedora/Red Hat have no way to control how often or
> when the mirrors sync up?

Yes, I suppose that's true, but they can give the mirror admins. a heads up
when something major is about to become available.  As it is now, us mere
mortals jam up the main site, complain that its slow, and keep the mirrors
from syncing with our added traffic to the master.  In the past, the new
releases test and final are on the mirrors and all open at the same time.
I'm sure something could be done, it would just take some effort in the
coordination.