Recommedations... more some thoughts about Linux in the real world

Alexander H.M. Ruoff alexander.ruoff at ruoff-germany.de
Wed Feb 18 18:08:31 UTC 2004

Well, each of us got his own reasons, I just wanted a stable system and
I found it. But Linux is still an OS related to IT people and students.
It's interesting how clients, colleagues and friends react when they
hear that I use Linux.

You don't find many users in other industry sectors and most people I
know can't tell the difference between Linux and Windows until they ask
"hey, your desktop is nice, how do you do it?". But most people regard
Linux not as an alternative but as rocket science and that has to be
changed in my opinion (it is slowly).

However, talking to a couple of business owners, I found out that
especially small and medium sized companies starting to consider Linux
as an alternative to Windows. Mostly they need someone anyway to install
the System so the only way to cut costs is an alternative to the
Licenses of Windows, MS Office and other applications.

Well, guess this is a but off topic and most of you know this already
but sometimes I feel a bit lost with those technical conversations since
I'm happy to know how to switch on a PC, read my emails, use a text
editor and surf the Internet. Ok... I also know how to install Linux ;)

Ok... the point is that Linux is considered something like an OS for
individualists and Linux users like an elite and rebels in the
worldwideweb. People seem to be interested in an alternative to
Microsoft but they are somewhat scared of Linux, like they feel inferior
to use it... don't know if some of you had similar experiences.

Alex

PS: Funny thing though, I convinced my mum (59) to use Linux and she
happily agreed since for her it's no difference to learn to use Linux or
Windows. Since the old Amiga OS and later Win 3.11 she didn't use a PC
at all ;)