FTP Server

Tom The Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 18 18:34:30 UTC 2004

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 11:35:57PM -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Sunday 01 February 2004 02:47 pm, Jason Dixon wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 14:22, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> > > The real reason ftp still exists is anonymous file access. in that
> > > context what's important is that someone not be able to root the box
> > > through the ftp server, hog resources, or fill directories up with
> > > warez...
>
> > I've actually been pondering why most folks haven't simply replaced
> > anonymous FTP with HTTP.
>
> Recursive snarfing works much better with FTP than HTTP.  I do this for RPM
> transfer from a fellow that builds PostgreSQL RPMs for older releases, and
> puts them on an HTTP server.

FTP is bidirectional and has a more natural (to unix minds) authentication model.
For example with ftp I can get to and from my home directory.

Add security to the question and ftp vanishes in favor of sftp and scp.

It is true that anonymous ftp is less interesting than it was.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net