undoing dual-boot

Brian Truter brian at famvid.com
Wed Feb 18 21:56:46 UTC 2004

Joe Szilagyi wrote:
> Any way around that if I don't have the disk? This was one of those
> pre-installed on the server XP deals.
>

> -=Brian Truter=- said the following on 2/18/2004 3:27 PM:
>
>> I dont think fdisk /mbr will work on an NTFS partition. You would have to
>> use the recovery console on The WinXP installation CD to repair the MBR

I am thinking this may work for you, but since you have to reboot to get
into the Recovery Console, I am not positive:

If the OS is preinstalled, usually the i386 directory is copied onto the
hard drive. Look for that folder and open a command prompt there.

type:
winnt32 /cmdcons

This will install the Recovery Console onto your hard drive, and it will
appear as a menu option when you reboot. Once you use it for fix your
MBR, you can remove it if you dont want it anymore. It is a handy tool, tho.