lower window manager

David Zakar david at zakar.com
Wed Feb 18 17:53:55 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 09:34, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently installed Fedora on a Pentium 200 MhZ with 128 MB mem.
> The console runs fine but graphical mode is bad with KDE 3.2.
> Can anyone recommend a less resource-intensive window manager with still
> a bit of luxery (e.g. can I run Konsole without KDE? I like tabs...)

I run RH8 with XFCE4 on a P166MMX with 96mb of RAM. I generally find
that this provides acceptable performance, provided you stick to lighter apps
such as Galeon/Epiphany, AbiWord, Gnumeric, etc. and don't try to multitask
too heavily. Also, try to keep within one toolkit, otherwise you'll start
swapping like crazy.

-DMZ