NFS syntax error in /etc/fstab?

Christofer C. Bell cbell at jayhawks.net
Thu Feb 19 14:12:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Mark J. Reed wrote:

> For some reason, if I type
>
> host:/path	/mount/point	nfs	defaults	1,1
>

> into /etc/fstab, mount dies with a syntax error.

>From comparison with other entries in /etc/fstab, I believe the error is
the inclusion of a comma between fields 5 and 6 (where it says "1,1" in
your cut-n-paste here).

Also, because you are mounting this file system via NFS, I believe both
entries should be zero.  The fifth field deals with file system backups
using dump(8) (which would be taken care of on the NFS server itself, not
this client machine) while the sixth field deals with fsck(8) order during
system boot (which can't be performed by an NFS client).  I believe a
correct /etc/fstab entry for what you've posted here would be:

host:/path    /mount/point    nfs     defaults        0 0

(ie; changing the "1,1" entry to "0 0" -- with no comma)

I hope this helps!

--
Chris

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.  Set
a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."  -- Unknown