Palm Zire

Atul Chitnis achitnis at exocore.com
Thu Feb 19 03:45:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Michael McCabe wrote:

> I've just received a Palm Zire the m150 model and I'm having trouble
> getting it to sync at all.  I'd like to sync using Evolution but the
> Connection just times out.  I've modprobed the usbserial and visor
> kernel modules like the spares documentation that I've seen told me to
> do. Any pointers on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

When you plug in the Zire, and tell it to hotsync, what does
/var/log/messages say?

Quick checklist:

- Make sure you have the hotplug package installed
- Make sure you are pointing at the correct port

The latter can be a beast - essentially when the connection happens, two
USB ports are affected - the valid one is the second one (as shown in
/var/log/messages).

To test, try using

	pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSBx -l

where "x" is the number of the port reported in /var/log/messages

If you get errors about permissions, fix those first.

Remember that in a host-slave setup (as it is with USB), the actual device
is created only when the master (i.e. the Palm Zire) attempts a
connection. It takes a few seconds before the /dev/ttyUSBx becomes valid.

I use my Palm Zire71 everyday with FC1, but to this day I have not got
Evolution to work reliably with it. Which is why I just continue using
jpilot, which has served me well all these years.

<flamebait>
Seeing the number of problems others have been reporting in this
department (evolution), I think the problems won't go away until
somone takes gnome-pilot behind the barn and shoots it, then replaces it
with something that works reliably for everyone.
</flamebait>

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis at exocore.com
Bangalore, India   | +91 (80) 2344-0397