Radeon Card Supported by Fedora

Jon Shorie jshorie at medinaco.org
Thu Feb 19 18:14:50 UTC 2004

Responding to:
>On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Mark wrote:

>> On February 19, 2004 01:09 pm, Jon Shorie wrote:
>> > I have access to several Radeon Cards.   What I am wondering is which of
>> > the following would be the best to use with Fedora's drivers.  Here is
>>>what
>> > I have access to:  Radeon 7000, Radeon 7500, Radeon 9200, Radeon IGP 320.
>> >

>> I would use the Radeon 9200 over the rest. (I don't know what the IGP 320
>>is
>> exactly. Is that an onboard chipset?) Either way the 9200 is the generation
>> newer than the 7500 and should be supported by both the ATI Firegl drivers
>> and the opensource drivers. I have a 9100 that does well with the
>>opensource
>> DRI drivers but doesn't seem to handle the UT2004 demo.

>the radeon 8500 and 9100 are r200 the 8500 has slightly faster ram. the
>radeon 9000 and 9200 are r250 the fastest of the r250's is actually the
>9000pro the slowest is the 9200se...

>> > I do not play first person shooter games, but do enjoy some gaming on my
>> > Fedora Box.  3d capability is not a primary concern at this time.
>> > Stability and 2d speed and quality is.
>>
>> The DRI drivers are probably all you need. If you had a 9500 or greater
>>then

>dri doesn't current support any of the r3xx based chipsets and the igp320
>is despits it's name apparently derived from the r2xx chipset. so the
>newer radeons are sorta off limits to people who want an opensource
>driver.

>> you may want the FireGL but upto 9200 will run well with DRI drivers with
>>3D
>> support.

So let me see if I understand.  From reading this thread, it appears that the
Radeon 8500, 9100 use the r200 chip.  The radeon 9000 and 9200 use the r250
chip.  The igp320 uses a form of R2xx chip.

I have an FIC AT31 motherboard with an onboard igp320 chip.  Using the
included drivers with fedora (I do not want to install non open source
drivers), my best option (in order) would be the 9200, IGP320, 7500, then
7000.  Is this correct?  Or does the 7500 and 7000 use a different chip yet?
Maybe an R100?