Can't access LSI SCSI onboard bios, however Fedora detects & loads proper modules?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Feb 19 20:06:22 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 19.02.2004 schrieb Joerg Battermann um 20:20:
> Hello,
>
> I got a used Tyan HS2567 Motherboard, with an onboard (and in its bios
> enabled) LSI Scsi controller. However, i never see or can access any lsi
> setup/bios... it just doesn't show up. there's no jumper on the board
> that could prevent that, nor anything else.
>
> the machine also has a 3ware card installed, which bios shows/runs just
> fine during the initial boot phase.
>
> however, when I put in the fc1-cd ... it detects the scsi controller,
> loads the module.. and shows the one attached 18gig ibm drive.
>

> the problem is, I can't boot from it, because the motherboards own bios,
> doesn't show the scsi controller/hdd as boot-device.. only the 3ware
> one.... any idea how I can fix/work around that? I want the 18gig scsi
> drive to hold the actual linux installation, and only use the raid-5
> behind the 3ware card for the /home partition & personal files.
>

> cheers & thanks,

If the motherboard BIOS does not support booting from the SCSI
controller there is no way to do so. Many BIOSes have the Symbios (old
brand of LSI) inside, others not. If Tyan has no BIOS including the
Symbios part for your motherboard, there is no way to boot from the
onboard controller.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2166.nptl
Sirendipity 21:03:16 up 5 days, 42 users, load average: 1.38, 1.26,
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]