Different XF86Config for different user

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Feb 19 21:11:59 UTC 2004

Raghu V Vadapalli wrote:
> Though I don't know what the solution is but It would be interesting to
> know what your application is ?
>
> On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 12:49, Ricardo Ardila Vetrovec wrote:
>
>>i don't know, X configuration file it's made for de SERVICE X WINDOWS!
>>and not to pass a X WINDOWS for differents users!

I don't know what Ricardo's need sare but I can think of one usage and
I am working on doing this as well.

Users that like different screen resolutions.

My daughter uses our computer for games and such thus uses
ctrl+alt+(num+) to change the resolution to suit her needs and my wife
likes a different resolution than my daughter.  In both cases, the
total screen isn't shown on the monitor, just part of it and message
dialog boxes can be missed.

Some WWW sites don't work to well at higher resolutions.

It is a lower priority on my list of things to do but for home usage,
it could be important.  XFree wish list?

We use shell login and my daughters account opens right into X.

I am looking at the using 'XFree86 -xf86config <file>' and possibly
modifying 'startx' to use a user based xf86config file.  I have looked
at the option files for startx but as of yet I havn't had much luck.

--
Robin Laing