Different XF86Config for different user

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Thu Feb 19 21:40:47 UTC 2004

Peter Eddy wrote:

> Robin Laing wrote:
>
>> My daughter uses our computer for games and such thus uses
>> ctrl+alt+(num+) to change the resolution to suit her needs and my
>> wife likes a different resolution than my daughter.  In both cases,
>> the total screen isn't shown on the monitor, just part of it and
>> message dialog boxes can be missed.
>

> You can specify "novirtual" in XF86Config to get rid of that silly
> virtual desktop. Then I think X will behave as you'd expect, the
> boundary of your desktop at all modes is then the same as your monitor.
>
>> Some WWW sites don't work to well at higher resolutions.
>

> If it's the size of the text that's a problem and you're using
> mozilla, you can just type Ctrl +/Ctrl - to make the text larger or
> smaller. It doesn't seem like changing the screen resolution out to be
> necessary to view a web page.
>
> Peter

If you use gnome then go to the Main Menu (on task bar) | Preferences |
Display Resolution  to set a different resolution it does not have the
virtual desktop issue, and I believe that is a per-user setting change
since it gets saved in ~/.gconfd/saved_state

Chris

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021