HP LaserJet 1000

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Feb 19 22:10:17 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Do, den 19.02.2004 schrieb Rick Stevens um 20:51:
>
>>Mario St-Gelais wrote:
>>
>>>I started not so long ago with Linux.  Initially, I installed SUSE Linux
>>>and with some pain was able to install my HP printer.
>>>
>>>Then I switched to Fedora and I haven't been able to make that damn
>>>printer puke some printed stuff.  I followed all instructions as per
>>>http://www.linuxprinting.org/ without success.  When I do "cat
>>>sihp1000.img > /dev/usb/lp0" the printer burps out some noise indicating
>>>I guess that the driver is being loaded buy yet it won't print.  Looking
>>>at log files I get all kind of messages according to flavor of the day I
>>>guess : "paper tray empty" or "printer faults".  But I damn know it is
>>>not empty.
>>>
>>>What am I gonna do switch back to SUSE??
>>
>>Try opening the image in gimp or another image viewer ("RedHat
>>icon->Graphics->The gimp" or "->More Graphics Applications->Image
>>Viewer") and print from there?  Spewing an image directly to the printer
>>port is guaranteed NOT to work (it wouldn't in Windows or any other
>>OS to my knowledge...it's gotta go through some software driver
>>somehow).
>

> sihp1000.img is no graphics image! See
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1000

Oh, it's a firmware download.  Lovely.  The notes say that you only
need to do this once after the printer is powered up.  If you do it
twice, turn off the printer, turn it on again and do the download.

One of the other notes says that you can "lpr sihp1000.img" (assuming
that the printer has been configured in CUPS as the default printer)
to do the same thing.

The only other thing I can offer is to download and extract the image
file again.  If you did it via FTP, make SURE you download it in binary
mode.
-               500: Internal Fortune Cookie Error                   -