iptables anyone???

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Fri Feb 20 01:59:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:48:46 -0500, jay <jnitroracer2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 20:15, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> jay wrote:
>> > anyone know anything about iptables??? I want know what could pose a
>> > potential security risk how and what to not allow....
>>
>> Have you tried reading the iptables HOW-TO?  Or use a decent firewall
>> builder such as FireStarter (http://firestarter.sourceforge.net) to
>> have a nice GUI to do it with.
>> - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>> - VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>> -                                                                    -
>> -            "You think that's tough?  Try herding cats!"            -
>> well that's a good point but does it interfere with any of the usual redhat/fedora
>tools.... Another point I should is that my particular box is behind a
>NAT so it isn't for me, but in a week i will be doing a system with just
>strictly linux acting as the firewall, I have never used iptables except
>for the default redhat/fedora setup..
>thanx

I spent a lot of time looking at the big IPTABLES book at Barnes & Noble and
readinig lots of web stuff. Then I got a copy of GuardDog and used it to do
the configuring. It takes about 5 minutes to figure it out and get your
firewall up and working.

http://www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog/
--
   Steve