Recommedations

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Fri Feb 20 04:28:58 UTC 2004

James Drabb wrote:

> Lindows is crap-olah.

Compared to what you're using, probably so. But, compared to windoze? I
think not.

>  Not only does it default to running as root (just
> like MS Windows XP defaults to running with admin privs), Lindows will
> nickel-and-dime you for every piece of software you want to install.
> They charge you to user their click-n-run warehouse to get FREE
> SOFTWARE.  I am not against paying for a software (I am a programmer),
> and I am not against paying for services.  I just don't think Lindows
> offers anything worth money and they are really nickel-and-dime'ing
> newbies.

So? They're used to getting dollared finned for software that entagles
the OS, A/V, & spyware. The idea is to get them used to the idea that
Linux need not be difficult, but indeed can be even easier.

> New users are better to get Fedora and use Livna, Freshrpms, DAG and
> Fedora apt repositories.  Install synaptic and have a ball
> point-n-clicking your way to more then 3,000+ applications.

Lindows gives people a way to get into Linux one foot at a time, and can
even be had preloaded on disks and PC's. Let 'em have the choice, and
use the first year of click n run to get the migration started. After
that first year is soon enough for them to figure out there are better
Linux distros to be had.
--
"I place economy among the first and most important of republican
virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared."

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/