networking & /etc/host

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 09:46:50 UTC 2004

Philip wrote:
> Hey,
>
> If I'm not mistaken, when logging into my desktop I should be logged in
> to the "local host", at least that's what it used to do. I'm set up on a
> LAN (simple NetGear router on top of broad band) and when I log in to my
> desktop I'm actually logged in to what fedora calls "dhcppc4". As the
> login proceeds I get an error:
>
> "Could not look up Internet address for dhcppc4. This will prevent GNOME
> from operating correctly. It may be possible to correct the problem by
> adding dhcppc4 to the file /etc/hosts"
>
>  - however the login does succeed, though after an unusually long time.
> I'm guessing that I missed some step in configuring my wireless
> connection (I just re-installed on new hardware) and fedora gets
> confused and tries to log in to the router or something. Has anyone seen
> this before?? Any help would be great as I am far from proficient at
> networking with fedora.
>
> - Phil

My guess would be that your router is operating as a DHCP server and your PC
is getting it's network address, hostname, DNS and other settings from it.
But, it's not operating as a DNS server for your domain so when you login to
the PC it's unable to resolve the hostname via DNS.

A simple solution is to add fixed entries for all DHCP assigned hostnames
into /etc/hosts on each machine. A complicated alternative is to set up a
DNS server for your domain.

I'd recommend the former solution.

--
Nigel Wade