updating problems

PFJ paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Fri Feb 20 10:43:37 UTC 2004

Hi Brittany,

> I don't know how to unistall the test version. I would like to give the
> test version a shot, and i would like to challenge my self since the
> reason why i install linux is for education and to teach my self more
> about computers and OS.

The problem is the test version (as I've said) can be unstable and as
you're new in, it is just as well to get used to the new system before
plunging yourself headfirst into the deep end.

You need updates->i386->rpms

Download the rpms you need to your home directory.

Start a terminal window (redhat->system tools->terminal)
Type in

su
(enter the root password)
rpm -Uhv *.rpm (assuming you've only downloaded the two rpms)

That should install the two rpms. It may fail, in which case, you need
to get hold of the RPMs to satisfy the dependancies

TTFN

Paul
--
"Logic, my dear Zoe, is merely the ability to be wrong, but with
authority" - Dr Who.