Green lights on kernel 1.2174.nptl ??

Fri Feb 20 14:00:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 07:35, WipeOut wrote:
> Marc Schwartz wrote:

> >Working fine here.
> >
> >Dell Inspiron 5150 with a 3.2 Ghz P4 w/ HT, NVidia FX5200 64 Mb UXGA
> >card using NVidia driver, DVD+R/RW, etc.
> >
> >I am running the UP kernel and have disabled HT in BIOS, but that's not
> >new with 2174.
> >
> >Marc
> >
> Does it still crash with the SMP kernel and HT enabled?

It never crashed, but the boot was at times problematic, with various
module errors, etc. The most significant issue was the well reported
keyboard repeat problem, some mouse conflict issues and other more
subtle types of things that made things frustrating.

Given the general lack of data that suggests there is any performance
advantage to be had with HT, I simply disabled it.

This is a rather fast machine, especially with 2 GB of RAM and a 7200
rpm 60 GB HD. hdparm shows 36.18 MB/sec for the drive. That is with DMA,
multicount and readahead enabled. glxgears (from a terminal) shows
around 2100 FPS.

I have absolutely no complaints with respect to performance, especially
for a laptop. I have 1 GB set for SWAP space and have yet to see it
used.

FWIW, I am also running XFCE4 on this.

If you have specific questions, let me know.

Regards,

Marc