Slow performence

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Feb 20 16:40:35 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 10:52, Ron Henderson wrote:
> Thank you all so much.
>
> I got Mplayer working, and even finally got up2date to work.
>
> 3d game performance (UT2004) is still terrible, (p3 1200mhz,
> 320mb ram, 128MB GeForce4 ti4600 running latest drivers from
> nvidia website.)

You should be getting very good 3D with that card.  I have a p4 1.7GHz,
512MB laptop with a Radeon Mobility 7500 and get good performance.  My
desktop is a 1.4GHz P4 with 512MB and an NVidia GF3 Ti 500 and the card
is very fast with the NVidia drivers.

Run this command from a terminal window:
    glxinfo | grep 'direct rendering'

The output should be:
    direct rendering: Yes

You can also run glxgears from a terminal windows.  You should get at
least 2,000+ FPS.

If you don't have direct rendering on, then that is the problem.  I will
need to make about two changes in your /etc/X11/XF86Config file.

Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL USA