LinNeighborhood-"Can't resolve address" error on mounting shares

Paul M. Bucalo pmbuc at pmbenterprises.com
Fri Feb 20 17:41:07 UTC 2004

Thanks for replying to my post, Jim...

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:43:44 -0500, James Drabb graced me with:
> On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 09:28, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
>> I have a an MDK 9.1 file server running Samba for shares. From my
>> Fedora boxes, I can connect to those shares through Nautilus and
>> XFce's xffm. I cannot connect using the latest version of
>> LinNeighborhood that was RPM'ed for Fedora. The Samba server has
>> been up for a long time and has successfully worked with all
>> distro's used to date.
>>
>> It appears that I can get through the first level of
>> authentication in LinNeighborhood, when I first double-click on
>> the Samba server name. When I double-click on the shares and try
>> to authenticate and mount, I get a small dialog box that simply
>> says: "Can't resolve address".
>>
>> Has anyone found a solution to problem, or know if the venerable
>> app is no longer useable in Fedora?
>>
>> TIA,
>>

>> Paul
>>

> It is not a Fedora issue, but a LinNeighborhood issue.  It doesn't
> look like it is actively maintained.

It isn't/hasn't been for a while.

> It appears that
> LinNeighborhood has not kept up with the Samba versions.

Yeah..it would appear to be part of the problem, if not the problem
altogether...

> You can
> search freshmeat.net for other samba utilities,

I will continue to look, but LinNeighborhood has been a favorite...

> or just use
> smbmount.
>
> As root:
> chmod 4755 /usr/bin/smbmount
> chmod 4755 /usr/bin/smbumount
>

> This will allow normal users to mount/umount smb shares.  However
> the user still needs to own the directory, so just make a mnt
> directory under your home folder.
>
> To mount a share:
>

> (this should be one line)
> smbmount //server/mount_point /where/to/mount -o
> username=USER_NAME,workgroup=WORKGROUP_OR_DOMAIN
>

> Then enter your password.
>

> To unmount:
> smbumount /where/to/mount

Thanks. Appreciate the review. This will be very helpful to others who
are not familiar with Samba. My post was not about how to mount and
unmount a Samba share, but about a utility that was both convenient
and secure for doing so. <sigh> All good things must come to an end
some day. :0)

> P.S.  Have you tried to email the LinNeighborhood author to see if
> he/she is maintaining it anymore?

Truthfully, I haven't bothered to try and I wouldn't, anyway. The
developer's mindset on this a while ago was that with Nautilus' and
Konqueror's ability to access shares, there was no longer a need for
his app anymore. He publicly stated this, so I take that as a
"...let's break up the party and all go home, now." announcement. I
beg to differ with him, but it's his right to end the project.

My reasons for asking about LinNeighborhood and Fedora revolve around
the fact that the latest version of the app (~ 0.65) worked in RH 9
and MDK 9.1. Both are technically currently supported versions. I
wondered what in Fedora was making the difference. After all, there
are Fedora-compiled RPM's of LinNeighborhood available on the Web. I
would have that this would have insured that the app would work with
Fedora.

Thanks again for the reply and advise,

Paul