Radeon Card Supported by Fedora

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Feb 20 18:23:37 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 10:30, Robin Laing wrote:
> I purchased a new computer and spec'd an ATI 9600 Pro after seeing
> drivers on ATI's site.  After getting the computer, I fought for three
> weeks trying to get 3D to work.  In frustration, I purchased a Nvidia
> card and installed their drivers.  Working and playing games with no
> problems.

I may sound like a parrot, but I second this.  I have an ATI Radeon
Mobility 7500 and it works well with the Open Source DRI drivers.
However, it does have problems with some 3D games and produces totally
useless screens.  I also have an NVidia GeForce 3 Ti 500 and use the
official NVidia drivers.  The card is very fast and handles anything I
have thrown at it.  I do wish the drivers were open.  However, I am glad
that NVidia uses a unified driver so I have the same features under
Linux that I would have if I used the card under MS Windows.  ATI's
binary drivers do not work as well under Linux as they do under MS
Windows IMO, and the Open Source ones do not support certain features or
newer cards.

If you don't care about playing some newer games or use demanding OpenGL
apps, the Radeon 9200 with the Open Source DRI drivers will work very
well IMO.

The Open Source drivers for my Radeon Mobility 7500 played Enemy
Territory without a single problem with very good FPS.  I watch tons of
DVDs without a problem.  Though for games like Americas Army, I just use
my desktop with the NVidia card over my laptop.

> --
> Robin Laing

Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL USA