my actual iptables inquiry

Ricardo A. Vetrovec rvetrovec at unimet.edu.ve
Fri Feb 20 19:04:37 UTC 2004

-A FORWARD -s $NET --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -d $NET --sport 80 -j ACCEPT

this to man: accept packets to thje internet if the source are my net
(example 192.168.0.0/16) and destination port 80 ACCEPT
accept packages to my network if the source port are 80 (remote server
are going to transmit by 80)

email:

port 110 pop, i don't remember imap

same rules, change the port

if the mail is webmail you don't need to open ports

media, well, you have to go to windows media player faq, realaudio faq,
etc because i don't remember right now

then for the last RULE

-A FORWARD -s &NET -j DROP

that-s means: deny any package for my net

of course iptables are going to read rule by rule until the package
match anyone, the general drop is use it to drop any other ports

If you want to drop messenger you have to install squid because when
messenger does not have connection trought its original port then use 80.

Greetings

Rick