Micro$oft $uck$

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Feb 21 06:54:25 UTC 2004

Brittany wrote:
> When i try to do what you mention it gives me "The snd-intel8x0 driver
> could not be loaded.  This soundcard may not be compatible with Red Hat
> Linux."
>
> I guess my sound card isn't compatible with red hat, Damn it!
>
> Brittany

I have the same type of card that you have and for Fedora 1 the driver
to use is as pasted in the excerpt below. The entries are in the
/etc/modules.conf file. The card is an AC 97.

alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

If you are running Fedora Core2 Test1, you will have to add to your
/etc/modprobe.conf file the below entries.

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install sound-slot-0 &&
/bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

You are correct that system-config-soundcard is broken on FC2 currently.
I did not have any troubles with FC1 and the soundcard mentioned.

Jim