grub and windows XP

Wolfgang wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Sat Feb 21 12:46:00 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 22:44, peter peter wrote:
> > I had 1 disk with 2 partitions> 1.part. Windows ME 2.part. Fedora Core 1
> > and boot loader grub .... it's work o.k.
> >
> > but when I install new Windows XP on 1. part I can not run Fedora, Grub
> > don't load and automatic load Windows XP, what I can do?
> >
> > peter
> >[snip]
> >
> >You can boot from your Fedora Disk 1 and go into Rescue mode. Once there
> >run Grub-install /dev/hdX. X= drive you wish to install grub to. If you
> >have one drive then it's /dev/hda
> >
> >Then reboot your system and it should boot back into Fedora.
> >
> >Check the Grub readme files for more information on how to boot to your
> >Windows Partition. And this should be located in
> >/usr/share/doc/grub-x.xx depending on the version.
> >
> >Wolf
> >
> If I type: grub-install /dev/hda then view > /sbin/grub: Not found
> what I can do?
>
> btw: if I type fdisk -l then view>
> device       boot    id    system
> /dev/hda1     *       c     Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
> /dev/hda2             83    Linux
> /dev/hda3             83    Linux
> /dev/hda4             f     Win95 Ext'd  (LBA)
> /dev/hda5             82    Linux wap
[snip]

Once you booted the system with the Fedora CD with the Rescue mode, you
should be able to cd into the boot directory and do it from there. I had
to do it that way on several occasions, and it worked by doing this.
It's a little hard to explain, unless I go through the same motions. The
readme should point you to the grub website, and the manual there should
point you in the right direction.

Wolf