VPN options

Nathan Ollerenshaw nathan at valuecommerce.ne.jp
Sun Feb 22 04:25:37 UTC 2004

Keith,

I looked at freeswan and IPsec as well as doing SSH tunnels, and the
best software I found for a quick and simple yet secure VPN is OpenVPN.

Its easy to set up, they have RPMs for everything you need (except for
one thing which you can get off freshrpms) and it works REALLY well.

I run a VPN between here and an office in Moscow and it was fairly
trivial to get working. Just follow the documentation closely.

The thing with FreeSwan and others is that they are very complicated
and/or use bizzare protocols such as GRE which sometimes get filtered.

OpenVPN just uses UDP for encapsulation, and TLS for the session
negotiation and OpenSSL for the encryption, so its very
straightforward. You can also set up a floating endpoint with no
problems.

Hope this helps,

\n