purge

Clint clint at penguinsolutions.org
Sun Feb 22 19:22:12 UTC 2004

Mike wrote:
> As I continue to update and build new versions of the FC1/FC2 my systems
> gets pretty cluttered and I would like to remove them from the system
> and the Grub loader.
> Is there some neat means to remove linux-distro-lint?
>
> Thanks for any help ou care to offer..
>
> Mike

Here's what I did to clean things up, though I doubt there was any real
reason for me to do so, other than "I wonder if I can get rid of this
excess baggage":

I wanted to remove the extra kernels that I no longer used (but I still
think it's probably a good idea to have at least one good working kernel
in addition to your current one in case something unplanned happens with
the current one), so here's how I did it:

su to root
rpm -qa | grep kernel

examine the output for files looking like:
  kernel-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl

I believe I had 4 or 5 of these in addition to my current kernel.

For each one I did:
rpm -e kernel-2.4.22-1.<version>.nptl

where I replaced <version> with the version that I saw from the previous
rpm query. Before each one, do a sanity-check -- stop to be sure that
you're not deleting your current kernel. Look again to be extra sure.

There still were some empty directories remaining but I just was lazy
and didn't bother removing them.

I also removed an older nvidia driver for an earlier kernel, since it
was no longer necessary.

Before doing any of this, I'd recommend seeing if there are any
follow-ups or cautions on the list. This method worked for me, but there
may be an important instruction that I either a) have wrong, or b) have
omitted.

Clint

--
Clint <clint at penguinsolutions.org>