post installation problems

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Feb 22 20:06:02 UTC 2004

Brian Marsh wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 14:40, Jeff Vian wrote:
>

>>The sequence of starting things is controlled by the listings in the
>>/etc/rcX.d directories. (X is your runlevel)
>>
>>If you look there you will likely find SXXpcmcia has a higher number
>>than SXXnetwork.
>>If you change that by renameing the files so the pcmcia starts first it
>>will solve this problem.
>>BTW, the XX in the names above indicates the sequence they start.  Lower
>>numbers start first.
>>Delaying the start of the network will easily fix this for you.
>>

>Thanks for the help, and yep, that all makes sense, except that I have
>directories rc0.d through to rc6.d and directories rc0.d, rc1.d and rc.6
>contain KXXetc and not SXXetc. Erm, guess this is my lack of knowledge
>of terminology, but what is my runlevel (and how do I determine it is
>necassary) and therefore which directories should I delay the network
>startup in? Or should I simply delay it in all?
>
>Don't fancy 'breaking' anything at this stage of experience...

What run level are you at?
'cat /etc/inittab | grep initdefault' should give a line such as
      id:5:initdefault:
The number here will be your run level (mine is 5), and so the related
directory of concern (in my case) would be /etc/rc5.d

The listings in there are SXX for those services being started and KXX
for those being killed.
run levels 0,1, & 6  will kill all services thus only the KXX entries.

IIRC usually the network is listed as S10network and pcmcia is listed as
S28pcmcia (or similar). I do not have the pcmcia serives installed on my
home pc, so cannot look to see the standard number for it.

The easiest fix would be to rename the network link to something that
starts after the pcmcia service.
The command  'mv S10network S30network' will do this for you (again, you
pick the number here)
This will take care of the problem with the network not starting because
the pcmcia service is not yet available and the adapter not yet configured.