Newbie can't get CD to boot

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Mon Feb 23 05:59:24 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 14:06, Ciemon G0TRT wrote:
> Why oh why won't my CD boot?
>
> I've downloaded the iso's, burnt them to CD with Nero on my XP system, but
> when I try to boot from them they're ignored.. and windows loads :/
>
> I have an old RH7 disk that will boot.. maybe I should just stick with that.
>
> Any pointers appreciated.

	Ciemon:

	Two possibilities:

	1)  You downloaded files called sources ( they have the name SRPMS in
the name of the file).

	2) When you burned the images to the CD, did you specify that you were
burning an image?  If you look at the CD in explorer for example, do you
see just 1 file with the same name that you burned (i.e ***.iso) or do
you have a complete filesystem.  This is a very common error.  I'm  not
sure about NERO, but most windows burning software will burn the iso
properly if you just double click the .iso icon or right-click the .iso
icon and select burn. If not you must look through the menues to find
the proper way to burn an image file - you could try the help menu as
well.

Scott