strange terminfo? problems

ptfedora at majordomo.thedacare.org ptfedora at majordomo.thedacare.org
Mon Feb 23 16:10:57 UTC 2004

I am having some odd terminfo problems using fedora core 1 on a Wyse60
terminal running vt100 mode.  TERM is set to vt100 mode.  TERMCAP is
undefined because its apparently not used any more (tried defining it with
no change).

Basically, some of the emulation does not seem to work right; it did on my
previous 7.2 and 7.3 installations with the environment defined similarly.

For instance, a man chattr comes out with odd characters around where
there should be quotes `'.

       The operator â+â causes the selected attributes to be added to the
       existing attributes of the files; â-â causes them to be removed;
       and â=â causes them to be the only attributes that the files have.

A VT application on under OpenVMS/VAX which prints out OK on my 7.2 and
7.3 machines now prints escape characters incorrectly although many other
screens using extensive VT escape codes are OK.

Things work poorly under screen-3.9.15-11 as well with similar results.

Does this look like a bug or me doing something dumb?

Paul