RH now exiting 1 more data center

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Mon Feb 23 19:10:31 UTC 2004

Res wrote:

> reliability + stability = RH of old.
> fedora reminds me of NT, for desktops its fine, but forget any REAL server
> use.

But there are at least several posters to this list that have been using
it successfully for real server use...

I'm personally running three Fedora servers for all of our nameservice
and authentication (DNS, LDAP, SAMBA, NTP) and they've been up for over
a month and a half (since the last kernel update I felt compelled to
install).  I did have some issues with OpenLDAP, but those have been
mostly resolved by updating my RH8 and RH7.3 clients, who were keeping
way to many connections open and overloading select()'s capability to
handle them.

I also have a Fedora server that I've configured with postfix, cyrus
IMAP, clamav and spamassassin that I've been testing and plan to switch
to in the near future (I need to schedule downtime to migrate all the
user data).  It has only been under light test loads, but has never hung
or crashed. Neither have any of my 32 compute nodes, who have been under
more heavy usage.

> we had 7.3 boxes running untill recent that NEVER missed a beat, never
> had to touch them,, like the RH9 boxes we have.... since fedora went on
> the 7.3 boxes, well, what a nightmare, daily interventions.
> I know of others who were running 7.3 samba servers, fedora destroyed it,
> they gave up and reinstalled 7.3 and backups from tape, they have told me
> they will not touch it again either. I know RH engineers work on this
> project, but the QC crew sure as hell dont, if they did FC1 WOULD be as
> relaible and stable as previous RH's.

If you'd like to be constructive, could you register your problems in
bugzilla or provide more information here?  That way we can hopefully
figure out what it is that's specific to your installation that isn't
working, whether it can easily be fixed, and what we need to do to make
sure it doesn't happen to other people.

I'm not saying Fedora is perfect... in fact I have to go register some
bugs against xscreensaver in a few minutes, but I don't believe that
your experience is that common, or neccessarily all due to Fedora.

Did you perform 'upgrade' or 'clean' installs? The former often appears
to be a troublemaker for people...