Fedora's SSH

Björn Persson bjorn_persson at sverige.nu
Tue Feb 24 03:36:57 UTC 2004

James Drabb wrote:
> Do I need to do anything special to allow hosts outside of my home
> network to SSH in?  I am running SSH on port 21 and have opened port 21
> on my Linksys router/firewall.  However, I cannot connect from my work
> to home.

What's the error message from the SSH client? "Connection refused"?
"Connection timed out"? "Host unreachable"?
Does the Linksys router also know which address to forward the traffic to?
Can you ping your home computer from work, or reach it in any way?
Do you have a packet filter configured in Linux? Is port 21 open there?

Björn Persson