"default" sound drivers vs. ALSA?

Alexandre Strube surak at casa.surak.eti.br
Tue Feb 24 04:20:13 UTC 2004

Em Ter, 2004-02-24 às 00:26, Marc Schwartz escreveu:

> > Some drivers works, but without multiple channels. My via-82xx, for
> > instance, when using standard FC1 sound drivers, keep gaim sounds on a
> > sort of queue when I hear music with XMMS. The music stops, every single
> > sound event from gaim is played in a row, and then xmms complains about
> > sound device being busy.
> > Its a via-82xx sound chip, and works perfectly with alsa.
> Take a look here:
> http://fedoranews.org/contributors/andre_costa/alsa/
> for some hints on how to get multiple apps playing together using ALSA.

I was exactly explaining to Mitch that alsa drivers don't suffer from
this issue, the opposite from the old drivers...

> I now have gaim and xmms behaving well together.

Weird, I didn't do anything to make them work together after I've
installed alsa and xmms-alsa..

> Now, if I could just get Evolution's new mail notification to
> work....anyone have any hints on that?

? Didn't even know that this existed :-)

--
[]s

Alexandre Ganso
500 FOUR vermelha - Diretor Steel Goose Moto Group