If you were building Linux Mail servers...?(what hardware?)

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Feb 24 04:36:53 UTC 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:13:49 -0600 Ron Henderson <rhenderson at gadtek.com> wrote:
> So what hardware do you recommend? I am looking for 100% compatibility,
> and trouble free installation. I was thinking of using AMD MP's. What
> motherboard, NIC and RAID controllers just work with no issues?

> What Distro? Fedora? RH9, Suse?

if you're talking high volume, then disk i/o bandwidth will be the
limiting factor, so concentrate on that. disk i/o will dominate even
over choice of MTA (exim, postfix, and qmail can all be gotten to
perform at about the same outbound rate on well configured
servers, sendmail can do it too at the cost of a bit more work).

richard
Richard Welty                                         rwelty at averillpark.net