Fedora Updater

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 06:11:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:00:08 -0300, Alexandre Strube wrote:

> Besides a bad memory module (as Keith already pointed out, and you can
> test with http://memtest86.com), there's a issue with rpm which
> sometimes does that.

I've found memtest86 a less than reliable method for determining if memory
modules are bad.

On several systems I've repaired, memtest86 passed every time, but a
kernel rebuild loop caused segfaults. Replace the ram, no more segfaults.

IMHO unless you're testing a system using heavy I/O stressing, which
really pushes the load on the masked areas of memory, you're not going to
get a result.

As for the possibility that the OP's problems stem from a badly configured
client, that doesn't explain the gzip failure (more heavy I/O?), and the
other posters have missed the original point that the lockup occurred
*after* he'd already "finished the download".

However, I do agree in general that both yum and up2date seem to have
problems downloading - that apt doesn't seem to suffer from so much (very
weird considering they all use the same Repos now - maybe it's a timeout
setting).

IME, random failures, known stable code causing crashes or lockups, and
the classic - persistent Distro installation failure, all point to the
same thing - bad ram chips (at least 90% of the time, about another 9% due
to overheating or loose connections, and 1% due to factor "X").

-
K.