Will FC2 have MySQL 4?

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Feb 24 13:06:24 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 07:43 -0500, Richard Welty wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:30:04 +0000 Rui Miguel Seabra <rms at 1407.org> wrote:
> > > it would allow Fedora distribution, but might blindside businesses
> > > that are unaware of MySQL AB's license terms.
> > *cof*cof* both of you are wrong.
>
> > MySQL is GPL'ed which allows and is a good incentive for commercial
> > redistribution.
>
> > What it is not good for is proprietary software distribution, which is a
> > totally _different_ thing.
>
> there are two different philosophies of open source here (as i said
> in another posting.) one derives from the spirit of the GPL, and one
> derives from the spirit of the BSD license.
>
> by using the GPL instead of the LGPL for libraries, you effectively
> drive the software with GPL'd libraries into a niche where some
> (many?) businesses will decline to use it.

No, you drive it into an open market where companies can compete on
equal and fair grounds using the skills of their employees.

> you may see this as good
> for open source, i see it as restrictive, lots of people will end up not
> using it.

I can understand that some companies (who don't give a damn about the
users of their software or that want to drive competition away, which is
bad for us) don't like GPL'ed software.

> besides, there is the whole blindside issue. how many businesses
> right now use MySQL without having examined the license terms,
> because their IT guys like it and it comes on the disk? how many
> of them are going to be shocked if the fact that they upgraded to
> the newest license comes back to haunt them years later.
> the potential consequences are severe.

Not if you distribute your software under a GPL compatible license.
http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/gpl-compatible.html

> i've worked at the executive level in a couple of businesses. we
> do discuss this sort of issue, it affects our decision making, and
> this license change would disqualify MySQL from a number of
> projects where i've directed that it be used in the past.

No wonder you make bad decisions, if you give bad advice like the one
you're giving here to poor non attentive readers.

You're definitely bound to make serious business mistakes.

Go read more, you seriously need to if you're discussing with the
executive level and giving such bad advice.

For instance: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/selling.html

Rui

+ So let's do it...?