[RE] viruses from mailinglist

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Feb 24 16:11:11 UTC 2004

Joolz <joolz at xs4all.nl> writes:
> Since a week or so I keep getting lots of email from the list with 29K
> zip attachments. AFAIK these are viruses (Mydoom?).

As you may recall, most modern viruses rewrite their "from" lines, and
add their package to email found on the infected machine.   So while
the virus claims to be from the list, it is not.  At least, I've not
received any virus-laden emails from fedora-list at redhat.com; after
the virus sees this message, I might :-( .

What this probably means is that someone (perhaps someone you know)
is receiving this list on an infected windoze machine.  Would all
you windoze users please check?  Consider this another reason to
run Service Pack Fedora.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993