Adding new vendor/product ID to an existing USB driver.

Malcolm Northcott mal42north at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 18:30:32 UTC 2004

My son just got a Motic DS300 microscope, which comes with a traditional
eyepiece and a digital camera. The microscope has
pretty impressive optical quality for the price, but of course
the camera does not work under Linux**. The camera looks
like a regular USB webcam without a lens, it gives the following vendor
string when I hotplug:
PROD: 6a5/d001/100
and loads up with  /proc/bus/usb/devices showing Driver=(none).
Given the small number of vendors that sell USB web-cam chipsets I
suspect there is a pretty good chance that one of the existing
drivers will work. So the question is how do I force a new
vendor/product ID to be associated with an existing driver?

And a follow-on question, assuming I get the camera working, what is a
good application for grabbing USB-web-cam images.

	Thanks,
		Malcolm.

** The Motic tech support chaps are pretty helpful, they are trying to find
out what chip set the camera uses. Apparently the user application is written
in Java so may run fine, though I'm dubious that it will be able to talk to
the camera even with a working driver in place.