Graphical boot (was NEW ENTRY)

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Tue Feb 24 19:37:18 UTC 2004

Quoting Marco Benvenuto <marco.benvenuto1 at tin.it>:

> Hi guys,
> I'm just a beginner :)
> I have installed the Fedora Core 1 distribution; after the OS is charged, the
> root PW is requested as usual, but
> no graphic session starts automatically. Is this rigth? I have installed a
> KDE version as GUI, but it doesn't start automatically.

It may be that you are not booting in to the right "run level".
Try logging in to the computer and type telinit 5

Wait for a few seconds and if a graphical boot starts, then this is the problem
(probably starting in run level 3).

To make this a permanent change, fire up a terminal and edit /etc/inittab.

The line that looks like

id:3:initdefault:

Change it to

id:5:initdefault:

Save the file, reboot, and all should be hunky dorey : )

If any of this is beyond you, then let us know and we will give more details,
but I don't want to type too much if it isn't nessasery : )

> Another question: how is it possible to find drivers for a USB ADSL modem
> which work with Fedora Core 1?
> The same useful for Red Hat can work properly?

No idea, hopefully some one else can help you with this.

> Thank you very much to all.

Your welcome.