Will FC2 have MySQL 4?

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Feb 25 02:33:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 07:56, WipeOut wrote:
> Ok, how does this work.. We are developing a PHP based web app that will
> never be sold and the code is not GPL.. It will be hosted by us and
> people will subscribe to the service that we are offering and pay a
> monthly fee.. Would I be required to buy a MySQL licence?
>
> Later..

Simple, dump MySQL and get PostgreSQL.  Problem solved.  PostgreSQL has
more features and is better overall IMO, PostgreSQL just did not win the
popularity contest against MySQL.

MySQL seems to be shooting themselves in the foot IMO.  Though I guess
one could argue that is is considerably less expensive then Oracle or MS
SQL Server, however, MySQL doesn't come close to the feature set of
Oracle.  Again, switch your app to PostgreSQL, is should be very simple,
especially if you abstracted the DB layer and made it generic.

Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL USA