RH now exiting 1 more data center

Res res at ausics.net
Wed Feb 25 07:49:06 UTC 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Norman Gaywood wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 07:42:33AM +1000, Res wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Wade Hampton wrote:
> > > Are these SMP machines or P4 with hyperthread enabled and
> > > running the SMP kernel?  If so, there is a known bug (and it bit me,
> > > so I'm not using fedora except at home).
> >
> > bingo :) SMP boxes... single CPU boxes couldnt handle the load our mail
> > and web servers do.... so im glad  its not just me *sigh*
>
> No you are not the only one to have the problem with the SMP FC1 kernel.
>
> To get stability on the several SMP servers I run, I use FC1 with the
> RH9 kernel. These systems run really well. The RH9 kernel is still being
> patched for security problems. When that stops, and if the FC1 kernel is
> not fixed, I might have to try building the EL kernel from src RPM.

Well slackware is now runnig the news server. the irc server i left as
the sole fedora box, i mean its only irc <G> only takes 40 seconds to
upload and recompile the daemon, interesting you run the RH9 kernel which
yes like you said is still solid as, I am thinking of of putting 2.6.2 on
it, I mean it cant fsck it up any worse than it i now <G>

> Other than the SMP kernel, I think FC1 is the best linux distro I've ever
> used. The package management alone, with rpm and yum, is so good on FC1.
> I could not bare to go back to even RH9.

as a desktop fedora is fine, well so long as its a single CPU machine :)

--
Regards,
Res