Two RAID 0 questions

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 10:29:13 UTC 2004

On Feb 24, 2004, Allan Metts <ametts2 at mindspring.com> wrote:

> --1-- Do I need to put the two drives on separate controllers?

Yes.  IDE doesn't permit simultaneous access to disks on the same
controller.  Well, you could make do with two disks on a single
controller, but performance would be terrible.

> --2-- Does RAID 0 require identical drive sizes and geometries like
> RAID 1 does?  Or is it possible to span drives of differing sizes?

If you really want RAID 0 (i.e., striping, such that both disk heads
have to move simultaneously to satisfy even small reads, which is good
for fast sequential access to big files), then you have to have
identical geometries.  If random access is more of the rule, you'll
probably be better off with linear raid, in which case the size of
individual disks doesn't matter.

I'd consider throwing LVM into the picture, since it would make the
set up far more flexible and manageable, but let's go one step at a
time :-)

Happy GNU Year!                     oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}