questions about squid.

Paul Morgan paul.morgan at jumanjihouse.com
Wed Feb 25 15:09:40 UTC 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 09:07:44AM -0500, Paul Wood (RNESU) wrote:
> I work for a k12 organization and we use Bess as our content filter.  It has
> some great reports.
>
> I would like to cut the cost of content filter and use the money for
> something 'important'.
>
> I don't block everything, but everything is recorded and reported to
> administration or the police.

Take a look at dansguardian.org for a content filter that works with squid
(both are easy to set up). Depending on your linux skills, you can
download the binary rpm or the source tarball. In your case I'd recommend
only the source tarball plus the squid reporting patch so that you can
compile squid yourself. The patch enables squid to use the
X-Forwarded-For header to report on what people are looking at, etc.
DG has extensive filtering for weapons, etc.

> Does Squid have good reporting tools?  Are they easy to setup and install?
yes, yes, and yes.