Any free vpn clients

xyzzy at hotpop.com xyzzy at hotpop.com
Wed Feb 25 16:00:53 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 6:31 pm, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Mi, den 04.02.2004 schrieb xyzzy at hotpop.com um 10:04:
> > Why, exactly, is PPTP insecure?  Do you have any references for this?
>
> http://www.schneier.com/paper-pptp.html
> http://www.schneier.com/pptp.html
> http://mopo.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/pptp_mschapv2/

The first two links I could reach... the third seems to be down.  These seem
to talk about Microsoft's client.  What about pptp-linux
(http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net) ?

> > If my ISP is running a PPTP server will FreeS/WAN or OpenVPN even work at
> > all?
>
> Why would your ISP run a VPN server? I know that some ISPs, mainly in
> Austria use PPTP for internet access, but there it's ok, for you don't
> need the privacy you want are expecting from a VPN.

This is what I need it for.  Internet access.  With that, I shouldn't have to
care too much about privacy, since it is only to the ISP.  Anything else I
want to do that I need privacy for I would use SSL, SSH, or Cisco's VPN with
windows, and then FreeS/WAN for Linux.