How do I get a /dev/sequencer?

Björn Persson bjorn_persson at sverige.nu
Wed Feb 25 17:52:02 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am So, den 22.02.2004 schrieb Björn Persson um 20:01:
>
>>My sound device is integrated on the motherboard. Sounds can be played
>>just fine but MIDI doesn't work. Playmidi tries to access the MIDI
>>device through /dev/sequencer and gets the error "No such device". The
>>sound driver seems to be cmpci, but apparently it doesn't handle
>>/dev/sequencer. What module do I need to load?
>>
>>Kudzu (or something) has identified the device as "C-Media Electronics
>>Inc|CM8738". I'm currently running Linux 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.
>
> Install ALSA from fedora.us or freshrpms.net. I think the soundchip is
> supported by the module named cmipci. See the ALSA project page for
> details (like modules.conf entries).

I installed alsa-driver, alsa-firmware, alsa-lib, alsa-oss, alsa-tools
and alsa-utils from fedora.us, and was really confused for a while
before I found the driver modules at FreshRPMs. Now I have the same
situation with ALSA as I had before with OSS. PCM sound plays just fine
but there is still no /dev/sequencer.

Is /dev/sequencer even the right device file to use with ALSA? If not,
is there a MIDI player that works with ALSA?

According to the SOUNDCARDS file there is support for "MIXER,PCM,MIDI"
with CMI8738, and "MIDI" is explained as "external MIDI port". Does that
mean the driver can control an external synth through the MIDI port, but
not the built-in synth? Would I need one of the cards labeled with
"SYNTH_MIDI" to play MIDI with the card?

Björn Persson