Multiple user groups on a file

Joolz joolz at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 25 19:00:52 UTC 2004

> [Rui Miguel Seabra schreef op 25-02-2004 15:12 +0000]
>
> On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 16:08 +0100, Linux4life wrote:
> > is it possible have several different groups with different
> > privileges on a file on ext3 filesystem?
>
> Only if you have extended acls like those brought by SELinux, which
> Fedora Core 2 will include.

This is _great_ news. I've been administering netware systems since
1993 or something. Since the last years I have been using Linux more
and more, but the very limited user and group rights implementations
on the traditional Linux filesystems compared to netware are... well,
bad. :-(

I knew there was something like ACL but I didn't feel like tweaking,
I'm not much of a kernel hacker I'm afraid. But IMO getting this as a
standard in Linux distro's is a great step forward.

I had my doubts when I went from RH9 to FC1, but now I've heard this
I'm glad I have made the step (even though I will have to wait until
FC2).

So, thank you Fedora community!!!

--
19:55-20:00
Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) Linux 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl