iptables question

Patrick O'Brien padric at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 25 18:50:07 UTC 2004

>I want to enable lpr printing (from an Apple Powerbook running MacOS X
>10.2) for printers on my Fedora Core 1 box. According to the /etc/services
>file, printing services are given as:
>
>printer  515/tcp  spooler  # line printer spooler
>printer  515/udp  spooler  # line printer spooler

Andrew, I usually do firewall scripts by hand. you can make an executable
script in
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S11.rc.firewall and copy it to
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/ for the gui startup

simply what you want is:
# iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 515 -j ACCEPT
# iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 515 -j ACCEPT
# service iptables save
# iptables -L -n

but look into:
http://netfilter.org/documentation/index.html