FC1 as a server but NOT HP Proliant

Paul M. Bucalo linuxuser at pmbenterprises.com
Thu Feb 26 16:14:24 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 09:45, yavorsky gaetan wrote:
> Hi,
> It's working but ...
> If it's a critical production environment, and if you plan to contract
> support whith HP, forget it !
> I do have a problem with a G3 server which crash after 2 weeks in
> production mode.
> Since I have an other G3 as office server which run perfectly, I'm quite
> sure that it's a hardware problem, and I have standard 3 years garanty
> from HP.
> So I called them, and I have been told that they don't care about my
> problem because of FC1 !!!!!!!!
> They just told me to install RH8 which is the last "open" release
> supported, or to by RedHat ES3 !.
> Not really what I expected from such a company ! ( why do not install
> WFW3.11 ??? )
>
> If somebody has an other feed back HP, please let me know !
> Regards.
> Gaetan Yavorsky.

You may wish to take a look at this:

http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/

This is an RHEL clone that will pretty much mirror Red Hat's development
of their Enterprise Linux release. What it is missing is anything not
OpenSource. Outside of this, it looks, and I would guess, operates just
like RHEL.

While I wouldn't go on record as to ask you to lie to your HP support
people, I suppose you wouldn't be too far off the truth to say that you
are running RHEL....sort off...with WBEL. And WBEL, like its clone
brother, will supposedly have a longer cycle life and be more stable
than Fedora. My brief testing shows it that running X far faster than in
RH 9, but slightly less snappier than Fedora. Not a bad trade off, and
definitely an improvement for someone like me who wants to go beyond RH
9 on his server, but wants minimum hassles and support chores.

I've had no problems with Fedora Core 1 on my workstation, a meager
little AMD 500 MHz with a mere 192 MB's of RAM. However, I am daunted by
the need to consider such frequent updating as Fedora would suggest.
It's fine for my workstation, but too much for my server. I don't work
on PC's for a living, anymore, and the time isn't there to do so and
still support the rest of my network. WBEL looks good to me. I tip my
(red) hat off to Joe Klemmer for referring WhiteBox to me.

Maybe WBEL can help you achieve your goals and get along better with HP.
If you have a spare box to test it with, I think it would be worth the
time spent trying it out.

HTH,

Paul