For the Newbies

Wayde Gutman waydecgutman at robsoncom.net
Thu Feb 26 16:42:51 UTC 2004

My impression from fedora-list emails that many of the users of FC1 and
FC2 are from the GUI generation, e.t., Windows. I have been a computer
user since MS-DOS 3.3 days, as far as I am concerned, if you had never
used DOS, you are at a disadvantage.

In regards to FC1, I see it as Beta.

If you want to know what is on your system, open up Terminal and do the
followings...

[newbie at lostchild newbie]$ dmesg | lpr (sends to printer)

[newbie at lostchild newbie]$ dmesg | more (I like it better than less)

Most importantly, get yourself a good reference book and subscribe to a
linux-based magazine (Linux Journal, Linux Format, or Linux Magazine). I
own two IDG Books's Bible Series, Unix Bible and Red Hat Bible.

www.linux.oreilly.com or www.oreilly.com (I own a number of
linux-related and Mac OSX-related books from this company)

www.redhatsales.com (no brainer since FC1 is a Red Hat product)

The reference source to end all reference source,

www.tldp.org [The Linux Documentation Project's website that I have
bookmarked for a long time].

If you want more grief and despair, get FreeBSD (www.freebsd.org) and
tackled that !

Don't knock Mac OSX, it has a Unix core (Darwin) that is similar to
FreeBSD 4.4...

-Wayde Gutman
	Tucson, Arizona USA